The APS software: Schedule the production and plan the demand
In our last post MRP VS. MRP II pointed out the dilemma posed by these two material planning systems, knowing that they operate thinking of an infinite capacity and static waiting times.
Today we will solve this dilemma, and we will see how to plan at finite capacity and in turn how to adapt to the demand.
The multitude of restrictions and operations that occur in the factory makes production scheduling and planning complex only with an ERP / MRP, using manual systems (whiteboard, Excel sheet) or relying on a single person to manage problems simply by your experience. The fault is that the decision support tool is static, which does not help with a dynamic problem, on the contrary, it adds more problems in the day to day:
- Materials are requested before they are necessary
- Resources are over-occupied
- Work in progress increases
- Work orders take longer than expected to complete
- Deliveries are late.
The solution: Software APS (Advanced Planning and Scheduling)
According to our experience, the solution involves the implementation of an APS software, an optimization and simulation tool.
Part of the MRP’s result, recovering WO’s, routes, bills of materials, stocks, purchases, orders .. It offers a detailed sequencing, using diverse rules of advanced scheduling, allowing a clear visualization of the impact of the possible changes, and the generation and evaluation of multiple scenarios.
How can you help us?
- Operations will only be scheduled when resources are available, taking into account capacity, restrictions and materials.
- It gives us visibility on the commitment of delivery dates
- Quick rescheduling and impact of changes.
- Reduces the extinguishing fires in scheduling.
The APS shows the planner a complete view of demand, capacity, use of resources, sequence of operations and the expected time to complete each operation. Also, you can move operations from one side to another, change priorities and manipulate the program in any way you consider necessary to meet business objectives. And before confirming the changes, analyze and observe the impact on all orders. Visibility is the key.
Benefits of APS software
- It’s fast. Create a production plan that synchronizes all orders in seconds or minutes.
- I’ts smart. Management can identify potential problems (cause and effect) and solve them before they occur.
- Customer service Improvement
- Inventory reduction
- Programming cycle reduction
- Productivity increase
This is the theory. But do you want to see how it works, how is it and how will it benefit to implement an APS software in your factory? Let us show you, request your demo.